Avoiding Toxic Ingredients + Giveaway from Green Horse Organics
There was a time when I paid little attention to what I put on my horses–whether it was fly spray, wound cream, hoof dressing, etc. If it was what everyone else was using, then I used it too.
But those days are gone. I look at the ingredients in everything now and I try my best to avoid using products which contain toxic ingredients. This means I usually make my own fly spray and I use topical products which have natural ingredients or at least no known toxins. (Note: it’s important to remember that natural doesn’t always = safe. Some plants are extremely toxic!)
A recent Facebook post reminded me of reactions that horses can have to certain chemicals, especially those in some commercial fly sprays. You might not be aware that what your putting on your horse can cause harm to him, the environment, or even possibly you and your family.
For example, here are a few toxic ingredients used in some horse products:
- Pyrethroids (natural or synthetic), including Resmethrin used in fly spray–considered a neurotoxin and flagged by the EPA in 1994 as having possible “reproductive and developmental toxicities for humans.
- Pennyroyal–plant in the mint family which acts as a natural insect repellent but is not safe for humans or animals. Highly toxic and can cause abortion.
- Nitrofurazone–active ingredient some wound care ointment; has been shown to produce mammary tumors in rats and ovarian tumors in mice. Some people may be hypersensitive to ingredient.
- Formalin–used in some hoof dressings; form of formaldehyde and known carcinogen.
The good news is that there are many companies which cater to horse owners who are concerned about putting toxic ingredients on their horse. One such company is Green Horse Organics.
And as one of my blog sponsors, they have volunteered to do a Spring bundle giveaway! Here’s what will be included:
- Total Horse Protection– 32 oz ready to go fly spray- Amazing natural multi-tasking insect and UV protection. Pure botanicals and powerful essential oils in a base of nourishing oils, witch hazel and aloe vera.
- Roll on Fly Off– Just exactly that! This is total horse protection in a hand portable roll on. Great on trail rides!
- Peaceful Spirit Calming Oil– Equine Aromatherapy- Help your horse relax in stressful situations. Pure therapeutic grade essential oils in a base of jojoba oils and dry coconut oil. Also for human use.
- Healing Touch Muscle & Joint Liniment– Use on body and legs to ease aches and pains. Natural healing herbs, msm, Arnica and E.O’s in an aloe vera gel base. Great for massage, pre or post work out. Also for human use.
- T-shirt- Green Horse Swag size large
To enter the giveaway, just leave a comment below (one per person please) telling what your favorite Springtime horsey activity is. Sorry, but contest is open to those in the U.S. only.
A random comment will be chosen on Monday, May 2nd. Good luck!