Nutritional Support for Equine Allergies

Casie

Hi! My name is Casie Bazay. I'm a mom, a freelance writer, and a certified equine acupressure practitioner.

You may also like...

10 Responses

1. amanda hutchinson says:

Interesting article about allergy. Just would like to add. Blackstrap Molasses can be extremely useful in the treatment of skin and hormonal problems (which can also be responsible for stress and skin allergy susceptibility.
    Kick out your compound feeds: feed with plain soaked Beet and mix in the following: one tablespoon of Blackstrap Molasses;
    a scoop of seaweed and rosehip (available online for horses);
    500mls of organic flax oil; tablespoon of seasalt;
    a measure of vitamin and mineral powder (good quality equine without fillers)
    and a handful of Alfalfa and mint.
    wash hay and make sure that it is as green as possible. Ideally the horse should be kept outside with shelter (this gives the skin much needed boosts of vitamin D which helps in the absorption of calcium and boosts immunity).
    This diet works equally as well with those horses and ponies suffering from Laminitis and with the addition of powdered vitamin D helps those horses with problems with Trigeminal Neuralgia.
    If you follow this diet your horse’s coat will look amazing. Their temperament will improve and their hooves will be strengthened.

• Casie says:

Hi Amanda–Thanks for sharing about blackstrap molasses. I was unaware of its benefits, especially for allergies. I would be a bit concerned about feeding it to insulin resistant or laminitic horses on a regular basis though since it’s generally recommended to avoid high-sugar foods with these horses.

2. smith paoul says:

Really a great piece of information.. But i am also sharing some thing new about horse health and this is an Android mobile application which highlights the diseases in horses.
    For more information please visit : horsesidevetguide.com

3. Anna says:

How much Spirulina do you feed?

4. Francie says:

I so agree that most western medicine only treats the symptoms with no attempt to get to the cause. We are having great success with the use of LDN (Low Dose Naltrexone). Good info can be found at http://LDNScience.com

5. Cathy Barber says:

Like the article. My question is do we feed all those things or pick and choose? I now feed Chia. Do I add Spirulina etc?

• Casie says:

Hi Cathy, I wouldn’t do all of them at once, but several that might be good to start with: chondroitin, flax/chia, spirulina. Good luck!

6. Lea Ann Canavan says:

Cash- allergic to hay and bug bites in summer
    On the dbl set allergy shots. Hydroxyzine
    Tiki – same but his reaction is respiratory/breathing/nose discharge
    Both On allergy shots and hydroxyzine
    Not really working for either horse. It’s just January and both are busting out with reactions.
    What 3 herbs do you recommend for these two?
    And can I replace hay with
    Alfalfa pellet
    Complete senior feed
    Beet pulp
    Or better to soak the hay. Just does not make sense to me to keep feeding what does not agree with them. So frustrating
    giving shots and antihistamine that do not seem to work especially during peak allergy season. Never ending struggle and I want to do better for them.

• Casie says:

I would suggest soaking or wetting down good quality grass hay and feeding maybe a few soaked pellets with their minerals. Unless they’re older horses or have trouble holding weight, that should be all you need. I’d try the spirulina, chondroitin sulfate, and flax or chia to start with. Give it a month or two to see if it helps. Best of luck to you!